(NaturalNews) Mercury was considered to be the “first matter,” and the source of all other metals in Ancient cultures. In Neolithic times, its bright, red ore was used as a pigment, while the Romans used it for rouge and medieval lords mixed it with wax to design their official seals. Mercury’s unique relationship with gold was also the fascination of all Middle Ages alchemists.
However, underneath the alluring nature of mercury lies one of the most profound, long-term poisons for human beings and other living organisms. Unlike the people of Ancient Greece and Rome, we are now aware of the high toxicity of mercury. Still, we continue to make use of it in the most unlikely of situations; we carry it around in our mouths, in the form of mercury amalgam fillings for teeth.
Mercury and ‘silver’ fillings
Like most modern medicine, modern dentistry continues to promote a strange mix of health and harm. On the one hand, it helps people improve their dental health – for instance, by providing fillings for damaged teeth. On the other hand, it makes use of interventions and substances that are clearly destructive to their patients’ bodies.
Under the assumption that mercury is perfectly safe for human beings, dentists all over the world have been poisoning their patients with mercury amalgam fillings for decades, all under the approving umbrella of the FDA. Even after the FDA was forced to acknowledge the toxicity of mercury and its hazardous use in dentistry, doctors continued to use it in what they called “silver” fillings. In actuality, these contained 40% poisonous mercury.
Recent tests continue to find mercury in the air
Although it might seem like the issue was already settled in the past, high levels of invisible, odorless mercury in the air at dental offices is very much a present issue.
Alex Hummel is the head of a Colorado firm that sells sophisticated equipment designed to reduce the levels of mercury in the air. As his products focus on industrial sites worldwide, Hummel has witnessed the type of scrupulous training most employees undergo so as to avoid any exposure to mercury. According to him, this is not at all the case in dental clinics.
Here, Hummel found doctors, assistants and patients wearing little or no protective equipment against mercury. What’s worse, on several occasions, he detected 200 to 300 micrograms of mercury per cubic meter, which is twice or triple the amount allowed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
This is where mercury fillings also come back to haunt us, as it seems that the highest levels of toxicity are reached when these old fillings are drilled out at the dental clinic. To prove his point, Alex Hummel asked for the help of Joe Palmer, a mercury-free dentist that agreed to demonstrate just what happens during such a drilling. Even when a high-speed suctioning device was used to remove some of the toxic particles, Hummel still measured mercury levels as high as 30 times the OSHA limit.
You shouldn’t expose yourself or your children to mercury
Even mild forms of mercury poisoning can have negative effects on the patient. Irritability, insomnia, headaches and abnormal sensations throughout the body are mild symptoms, while prolonged exposure can even lead to neurotoxic effects on the nervous system, especially in children and fetuses.
Given that most dentists still refuse to take the health of their assistants or patients seriously, you must once again take matters into your own hands. When you choose a dental clinic for yourself or your children, make sure proper protection against mercury is in place. Should you ever require a filling, request one that is mercury-free.